Tuesday 10 March 2015

Milk and Cookies.


My kids come home from school ravenous. They are so hungry they can't see straight. Tired, exhausted, grumpy and emotional. It's a matter of time before we have absolute melt down.  I've spent ages trying to work out the perfect snack for them. If I gave them too much food it would mean they wouldn't eat their dinner. But if I didn't give them enough to eat in their snack I would have them moaning about how hungry they are. It would drive me crazy. I feel sorry for them, having to be on their best behaviour at school. Dealing with playground politics, sitting still when all they want to do is run around. Listening, learning. I began to realise it wasn't just hunger but that they were also emotionally drained too. They wanted was to come home and have some home comforts and a little snack. Not too much that it ruins their dinner but something to take the edge off.


Realising the link that they were emotionally hungry too I decided they needed some emotional pampering. Coming home and sitting them up at the table. I would sit with them too, with a cup of tea. No phone, no quick jobs to do around the house. Just me and the kids, giving them my full attention. And the perfect snack for this, cookies and milk of course. Old school snack which goes so well together. I'm hoping it will evoke a lovely childhood memory or them of coming home and having cookies and milk after school. 

What snacks do you give your kids after school?


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment